Thursday, February 28, 2008

BUTTONHOLES ARE MY CURSE

I finally have 10 buttonholes --- two in each dress but I think I made about 18. For those of you who don't sew much that means I had to redo eight ( I didn't actually count -- it could have been more). I love my Bernina and it makes beautiful button holes but I always have so much trouble with them. I think I need to find someone to give me private lessons! To celebrate the completion of the button holes, I went and dug through my stash for five -- yes five more pieces of material to make five more dresses and then dug out my pattern that has shoulder ties -- NO BUTTONHOLES. See - I'm smarter than you think!! Acutally, it will help empty out another drawer of fabric (one of my goals while in this house is to not buy any more fabric but to use up what I have so when I move I won't have a lot of fabric to move with me. And this pattern is so simple -- 4 pieces to cut out -- the skirt, a basically square bodice and ties to hold it up. Should go together quickly.
Back to the hankie dresses -- I'm going to sew my buttons on during my free time tomorrow at school (assuming I have any) and then get started with the other dresses this weekend. Here is some of the fabric.



3 comments:

Cheri said...

Your a wonderful grandma to sew these dresses; I honestly think as much as sewing stresses me out, I could probably make that dress for Mabry without too much trouble but it seems easier to wait for a sale and buy. Ha ha

Love ya,
Cheri

jennifer said...

crazy sewing lady! that is what the kids are going to call you:)

Serena Smith said...

the flip flop fabric is soooo cute! What neat dresses this fabric will make! :)