Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Weather Madness

Well, according to all reports early yesterday, Cleveland was in line for a huge storm complete with funnel clouds. However, the Lord was thinking differently and thankfully the main part of the storm went north of us but it sure was devestating to places in its path including Oxford, Memphis, Jackson (TN) and on toward Nashville. That's the good news -- the bad news is that it put me behind schedule with the sewing I wanted to accomplish this week :) I didn't do any machine sewing because they were unplugged. When things settled down a little I did work on the hems of my handkerchief sundresses. I'm still hoping to finish them this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

We have hired a new preacher at our church. We went through a pretty difficult split early in the summer. The preacher and a pretty large group left after some pretty ugly things were done and said about our elders and some others. No warning - just got up and walked out one Wed. night and didn't come back. The whole thing is really a difference in philosophies. One - fogiveness and acceptance of repentance (among other things) and the other judgemental (rather than letting God judge one's heart in repentance) and non-forgiving. I will say that since the preacher and those closest to him left, things have been much less stressful and more conducive to being able to worship the Lord. People who had quit coming started coming back. People who weren't taking part because of fear of criticism, etc. began to take part. People stay and visit with each other more after service and the atmosphere is just more loving and Christian. It has been nice. I miss a lot of those who left and I'm hoping they will eventually see the light and come back. I think they will eventually. For others it will be best for all if they stay where they are. There is a bit of humor to the story. I'm sure they will eventually build or buy a building somewhere but for now they are worshipping in the local synagogue. It has definitely raised a few eybrows :) Thing is, none of us "made" them leave. It was their choice. On to bigger and better things.

Brian made it through Language school and was the first student at that school to make it into the third book. I think he told me there are five books total. He is on his way back to Shiyan via plane to Wuhan and then bus the rest of the way. He loves his work over there but I'm sure he gets homesick sometimes. I'm so proud of the work he is doing. Brian is my "baby" He'll be 26 in March. He is not perfect but who is? He
has such a big heart. He is giving and humble in spirit. I know his Dad would be so proud of him too. We all miss you Bubba :)

Enough rambling for one evening. I'm off to stitch a hem before bedtime.

1 comment:

Amy S. said...

Hi Aunt Vail! I just found out you had a blog! It's very cute. I hope you post pictures of all the cute clothes you make. Have a great day!