Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Friend Sandra


My friend Sandra died last night. She had cancer. She suffered greatly for the last few weeks and I am thankful that she is in a better place now. Sandra was not my "best" friend but she was a special friend to me. I have known her family for about 30 years. We went to the same church, played cards and ate together on occasion, went to ball games when our boys were playing ball together, and many other fun things. When Bob became sick with pancreatic cancer, she would check on him often, sometimes stopping by for a minute or just asking about him at church. What made Sandra so special to me was the fact that after Bob died, she made a point of coming by on the anniversary of his death for probably 6 years straight and letting me know that she even though she thought of him at other times, she particulary thought of him on that day and how much she missed seeing him at church and his song leading and would share a funny memory or two and then would be on her way. She missed a year or so after that and then came another time or two. I will always remember those visits and I'm thankful that I was able to tell her how much they meant to me. Sandra was not only a good friend to me she was a wonderful Christian example to her family and to others. She taught Sunday School - usually 3rd and 4th grade-- and I know influenced the lives of a lot of kids in a really good way. She will be missed by all of us.

3 comments:

Amanda's News said...

She sounded like a truly wonderful woman! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Vail, she sounded like a wonderful person to know.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. She sounded like a really nice person. I will keep her family in my prayers.