Friday, July 25, 2008

I REVAMPED MY SEWING ROOM (and I like it!)

This afternoon I decided to clean up my sewing room and make it more pleasant to use. My before pictures don't really tell all but here goes.
The room if you are standing in its doorway is 5.5 feet across and then 8 feet from left to right. I had a small sewing table --(not one for a sewing machine but more like an end table that was meant to hold sewing supplies like thread, etc.) to the right just inside the door It is part of the bedroom furniture in my bedroom at Granny's house. I moved it out of that room but it is still easily accessible if I need something from it and I don't have stuff in it that I use a lot. I had 4 bins of fabric scraps in the back right corner. I moved four of those out and will store them in a closet. I hardly ever access them and I need the room for work space. That left the whole right end free except for the closet bar that runs across that end. I had put one of those sweater/shirt holders on it you can get at Walmart so I could have a place for "in-progress projects" I moved it all the way to the far corner. Here is the before
and after
picture of that end of the room. Notice the printer up on the shelf in the "old" pic. Not very conducive to computer work. You can also see the bins in the corner. Now there was room to put the desk I already had in there on the end wall and put my serger on it so I can easily use it any time.


Once I moved the desk, I took one of my foldup 2'x4' tables I got at Sams and put it straight across from the door, butted up against the counter which is along the left wall. I put my printer on it and some other storage containers but there is plenty of room for me to put my comptuer there and hook up my printer to print something out, pay bills or whatever. I can also use that space to cut out "small" projects - I'll have to move to a larger space for big projects. Here is a before and after of the wall straight across from the door. You can see that's where the desk was and the bins and stuff in the corner. The after picture show the table with my printer - and a small fan - because it was stuffy in there. There is also a 3 drawer cart that used to be under the counter to the left and the carrier for my sewing machine if I take it with me anywhere. You can also see my handy dandy magnet bar up under the shelf so I can stick ideas, notes etc. on it. It works good with scotch tape too when you don't have any magnets -- I've put those on my grocery list -- think Kroger has cute ones?

To the left inside the door is a counter that goes all the way across the wall. The only complaint I've had about it is that sometimes when I sew the whole counter would get to vibrating and moving up and down. I was afraid it would loosen it over time so I went to the lumber yard and got a baluster and Brian cut it down for me and put it under the counter and now it is solid as a rock. Thanks Bubba! :) Mainly all I did on the counter was shift the sewing machine to the left a little and then put away things and straighten up. You can see two baskets on the shelf - those are for the projects I'm working on at the moment. One will hold the pattern and all the parts so I can actually work on two things at the same time -- but only in theory.
Here are the before and after pics of that end of the room. You can see there wasn't much on the counter (at the time) but I do tend to pile stuff up from time to time -- I think I'll be more inclined to put things right away now that it's less crowded -- does that even make sense -- more room means more space to let stuff accumulate - but it's more organized too so hopefully ....


The first after picture shows the left end of the counter and the other shows the right end. The stackable drawers on the right end hold my sewing (not embroidery) threads sorted by color. The basket on the left end holds my little gadgets. Its a a silverware holder. I put all my writing things like pens and fabric markers in one section, small scissors and seam rippers and other cutting stuff in another section and anything not in either of those categories in the third. Then I put my big scissors in the large section. I just realized that the basket I'm talking about is not on the counter - its on the table --you can barely see the edge of it, but it is in the before picture.

So, that's a tour of my newly revamped room and I can't wait til tomorrow when I'll be using it to make Suzannah and Molly B some Pillowcase dresses (except I won't be using pillow cases). I'll end with a picture of the fabric I'll be using.I'm toying with the idea of using the stripes for the hem area of the polkadot dress and vice versa since I'll be having to trim a piece of each anyway. If all goes well I'll post pics tomorrow. Good Night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!

TexasNeals said...

the sewing room looks great!
SO excited about the dresses! curious....if you have extra ribbon, do you mind sending it w/ the dresses so that i could do matching bows? if not, no big deal. it was just a thought. :) w/ the bows on the shoulders, a bow on the head might be too much? anyway, whatever.

jennifer said...

haven't you been a busy beaver!? I like the material for the dresses. I think just keep them all the same...but whatever.