Thursday, January 28, 2010

ARRRRRRRGH!

Sometimes I hate my sewing machine!  Today I was trying to embroider a name on a simple burp cloth.  I've done it a million times.  The last embroidery I did was with Charlie Kate's quilt.  Since then I've just done straight sewing.  Anyway, The first two letters in the name sewed out perfectly.  It started a lower case "n" and then the clinking began.  Which in my case means birdnests or the top thread just bunching up underneath the fabric in the hoop.  I picked out the messed up stuff, rethreaded the top thread, took out the bobbin and looked for threads caught in that area -- nothing.  I rolled back the stitiching to  before it messed up and started restitiching.  Within 30 seconds clinking.  I did this two more times.  Then I put in a new bobbin, changed the needle, rethreaded everything and tried again --- clinking.  So, I've put it away for the night.  I don't know anything else to check and I don't know why it sews perfectly and just all of a sudden messes up.  It just seems to me it should start off messing up if something is wrong because of what they tell you to do to fix it -- like rethreading.  If it's threaded wrong it should show up right away.  Anyway, I'm frustrated and stopping for today.  I'll call the Bernina store tomorrow and see what they suggest.

G'night all,

2 comments:

Polly said...

Vail,
A few months ago, I was sewing along on my Bernina Artista 640 and it started clanking. Scared the bajeebies out of me! I did all the usual things to troubleshoot like you did...changed needle, rethreaded. etc...kept making those awful noises and thought I'd hurt the machine to keep sewing, so I stopped and took it in to Fred, my Bernina guy. He called me the next day to come pick it up...said all it needed was OIL!! WAAAAHHH???? My machine gives me a message when it's time to oil it and it had just been oiled by me about a week before!! :-( I thought how weird!! Then my bee friend Linda, had the exact same problem about 2 weeks later... so maybe try to oil the hook??? Just a thought! Good luck! Polly :-)

Unknown said...

Mom, did you check to see if you accidentally sewed the remote control inside the burp cloth? That would probably cause some clinking.