UNEMPLOYED RETIRED!!
Today was a busy and exciting day. There were very few kids at school. Most of the grades had their awards programs yesterday so a lot of them began their summer a day early. The sixth grade had theirs this morning right at 8:00 and a lot of them left right after ---- so----- very few kids. Those who were left, helped teachers finish cleaning up their rooms.
When I got to school, my boss called me in and showed me a letter we had gotten from the Dept. of Ed about the grant report we had submitted early in May. She had done a lot of hard work on it. I had helped a little and then helped her submit it online. Anyway, the online thing apparently didn’t work quite as they had planned so they were asking everyone to send them two hard copies and one copy burned on CD ASAP. Well, I just about panicked because I thought we (read as I) would have to scan all those pages to create an electronic copy to send in. However, after a few deep cleansing breaths, getting my brain in gear and rethinking, I figured out that the task could be accomplished in a much easier way and we got it finished in a couple of hours.
Then I got all the ab lcomputers unplugged and some but not all the wires pulled up out of the way to help get the room ready for the floors to be waxed. I also spent some more time helping Dianne as she’s learning the ropes of using DreamWeaver to update our school’s website.
At about 2:00 I changed into my skirt and sweater I brought to wear for the reception the teachers had planned for the three of us who were retiring. The party started at 2:30. I didn’t think to bring my camera so I have no pictures. It was a lovely party. They had soooo much food and pink lemonade frozen to the slushy stage for punch. There were all kinds fancy sandwiches and some toasted pecans and a huge bowl of fresh fruit and a big cake with fresh hydrangea blossoms. The center pieces on the food tables were big vases of pink and blue hydrangeas. It was just all very nice. They made us sit in three arm chairs out in front of everyone and then we were each presented with a piece of McCarty’s Pottery by a co worker who made a little speech about us. Our librarian who I’ve know for about 25 years -- she was librarian at the elementary school my kids attended before we both ended up at Hayes Cooper – presented me with my gift and she said the nicest things about me. I know we all influence those around us – kids and coworkers but I’ve never really thought about it that often. It was very humbling to me to know that I’ll be missed.
Tonight I’ve pretty much vegged out although I did organize some of the mess in the kitchen/din rm a little bit. Tomorrow I’ve got a whole lot to do so I can head up to Nashville on Sun. One important thing is to go vote by affidavit since I won’t be here for the big Mayoral election on June 2.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

7 comments:
Congratulations on finishing your 50th year of teaching! I know you didn't start teaching that long ago, but I don't know exactly how many it's been so I picked a nice round number to impress everyone. :) See you tomorrow. Love you!
Congrats Vail, what a land mark! I'm sure you will be missed very much. But on with the NEW life!!! You are going to have so much fun. Enjoy!!
That is such an exciting milestone. Congratulations. I know you have been looking forward to this day for awhile. Can't wait to hear all about your new adventures as a retired lady!
YAY!!! congrats! we are so excited for you! :)
I've got a job for you...
Congrats on your retirement! Yeah! Now when are you coming for a visit?
Love,
Cheri
PS- See you are not retired....we all have an agenda for you. LOL
Vail,
It Was Very Nice... Thank you for inviting Carol and myself. We love you can't believe where the years have gone.
Post a Comment