Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Yellow Brick Road -- Not for Dorothy!

A month or two At least two maybe three years ago I bought a stack of blue and yellow fat quarters that included a pattern with them. It was all tied up with a pretty yellow bow. Several months ago, I finally got around to starting the quilt. I read the directions very carefully - honest. I began making the cuts for the blocks. Then I started putting the blocks together. Anyway, to make a long story short, I took a wrong turn somewhere -- I thought -- and ended up with a bunch of rectangles that I couldn't figure out what to do with. I reread the directions two or three more times and still missed what I needed to do. I ended up cutting the rectangles one more time and THEN I saw what they were supposed to be -- bigger than what I was left with. Sooooooo I'm not making the Yellow Brick Road pattern. I'm making the MODIFIED Yellow Brick Road. On top of all that, I figured out how I would (re)make the blocks, put the material and all back in the basket -- until this afternoon. Got it out and had no idea what solution I had come up with before because I neglected to write it down. So, I looked at what I had already done and came up some new squares and I'm willing to bet if you look in the photos you won't know which squares follow the pattern and which don't!! Tomorrow I'll lay them out and hopefully stitch up another quilt top. The last picture shows all that was left when I got finished.

















































3 comments:

jennifer said...

Mom you crack me up! I love Mrs. H's quilt. Maybe you should keep it :) Great job!!

Cindy said...

Your post had me laughing and laughing and laughing some more. One never knows what the "end product" will be....LOL

This is a great story.

Have a great Monday.

Karen said...

I had a problem with the yellow brick road the 1st time I made it. Then 2 friends of mine tried too. I think yours is not the only modified yellow brick road out there!