Friday, January 2, 2009

TWO SANDWICHES IN ONE DAY -- NO BALONEY :)

I said there would be work in the sewing room today --- not entirely true. There was sewing work accomplished but I did most of it at the student center where we have a pool table that has a sheet of quarter inch plywood on top. I took my two quilt tops I put together over the summer and the backing and batting over there and sandwiched them together. I used some "basting" spray.


It really makes a difference in how easy it is to pin when you use some of that spray and smooth everything out. Here are some other photos of the red quilt.







I didn't plan to do this originally but because I didn't have quite enough of the red to piece the backing vertically, I used some of the leftover white print to make it longer. In quilt browsing, I've seen backings pieced in ways similar to this -- some vertically or with blocks and have always thought it a neat way to do the backing a little different so, this was an opportunity to try it. I think it will look quite nice. I had planned to use the white for the binding but now will use the scraps and the binding will include some of all the fabrics in the quilt. Just hope I have enough --I'm pretty sure I do.




I'm going to just freehand the red quilt but I'm going to use a decorative - sort of stitch on the log cabin. I got the idea from a quilt I saw on another blog. I've included a picture of the stitch below.


You can see how the log cabin below was quilted if you click on the picture. I think I will like how that looks on my quilt.



When I was finished, I rolled the quilts up in kind of a bedroll so I think they will keep for a week or so until I get a chance to get them started. Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish up a couple of projects that are on the verge of being finished so I can be done with them..

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Those look so great mom. I like the decorative stitch for Mrs. H's quilt. I think it will look fantastic. :)