Sunday, September 7, 2008

HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION SUNDAY EVENING

Here's what I chose to do instead of watching reruns on tv tonight. To borrow and perhaps misuse a term I've seen on several blogs I enjoy perusing, I've started a "mistreatment" of my itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polkadot foyer.


I took a before picture, two as I worked and one when I was finished. Apparently at one time this small area was that dark red color with the border at the top. I guess they eventually got tired of using a flashlight to find the lightswitch all the time and painted the wall that off white color. There is only one window in this whole room and it's under a porch facing north. That tells you how much light the room doesn't get. The rest of the room was the off white color with the same color woodwork -- until you reach the kitchen and then the walls were a pinky beige and the cabinet and trim white. I've already painted the walls in the kitchen a kahki color and the dining room one shade lighter. This area will be the one shade lighter and then this trim and the doors along with the trim and doors in the dining room will all be painted white. I was hoping to let someone else do the job but yesterday I got an estimate -- 300 dollars and that didn't include taking down the border or the paint. Seemed like a lot to me so I've decided to revert back to plan A and do it myself. Anyway. I guess these pictures mean I've officially started the final stage of this project. You can see that some of the red latex paint peeled off. I'm planning on cleaning the walls to get the glue residue totally removed and then use some liquid sander on the stained trim, doors and the paneling that shows. Then I'll prime those parts and then paint the walls. After that I'll tackle the trim, the one window and other doors in the dining room. If anyone has any suggestions for easy ways to do trim, I'm all ears.

School tomorrow so I'm off to bed and it's not ten thirty yet.

No comments: