Well, my laptop which I've only had since Sept. had a major crash Thurs. night. I had finally gotten around to loading my Bernina Embroidery software on it Wednesday and it was running fine. I'd been putting it off because there are so many bugs inVista but then Bernina came out with a service pack that you could download that was supposed to make it run well with Vista and it was -- for 24 hours. Anyway, I'd been on Internet and decided to play do some things in my embroidery program so I clicked on it to open it up. Then I decided to go ahead and close IE since I really didn't needto have it open. Than's when it happened. It totally locked up and I finally just turned it off and then turned it back on. It would reboot and about half way through the process, the screen would flash and it would start to reboot again. Like the song that never ends. I actually don't really know that the Bernina software made Vista crash but that was the last thing I had put on the computer so it kind of seems logical. So, I called the Dell guy in India and we had a 2 hour conversation. During which he didn't understand half of what I said. Know how I know. -- Him: "Turn the computer back on now." I would -- after several seconds -- Me: "It's stopped booting up and has restarted again." Him: "Okay" Several seconds go by -- Him: " Has the desktop appeared yet?" Me: "No, it stopped the booting process and started over." Him: "Oh, okay." Several seconds go by -- Him "Do you see the desktop yet?" By now its on its 4th or 5th start over. But you get the picture. I'd have to tell him three or four times before he caught on and we would try something else and then have that same conversation again when he told me to try to boot windows again. We ended with Dell telling me I would need to reformat the hard drive which means I lose most of my pictures (all the ones since I moved in this house) and then I would have to reload all my software. ARRGH! So, Friday I took it to the local computer shop and they were able to tell that there is nothing wrong with the disks and tried to repair windows but whatever got corrupted, makes it look like there is no operating system to repair. So, now I wait til Monday for them to see if they can at least salvage my pictures and other data files. Then we will go from there. I'm considering just putting XP on there except there are some things about Vista that I've gotten to really like. I just wish it was more compatible with all the other children on the playground.
Of course today I get an email from Brian asking me to email a picture of him when he was short and chubby (his words) so he could prove that he weighs less now than he did in eighth grade. Sorry Brian. Maybe next week sometime if I'm lucky enough to have my pictures back.

On a happier note, I've finished sealing the wood and making a cover for my ironing board. Here's a picture. The cover is a green duck cloth and there are 3 layers of low loft cotton batting under it. I used a spry can of Kilz to seal the top of the board. I didn't do the underside because the can ran out of paint. The cover was really easy to do. I think it turned out great.
After Toby and I go for a walk, I'm going to straighten up so my table is free for eating as I'm having the teens over for sloppy joes tomorrow after evening service. Another couple is helping too. Then if it's not late I'm going to get back to making log cabin squares. I've done the four brown and the twenty blue so I'm half finished. Now I have 24 green squares. Then I get to put them together. Can't wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment