Thursday, March 27, 2008

THE $249 IRONING BOARD AND OTHER STUFF


Okay-- you are looking at the $249 ironing board - would I buy it -- NO WAY -- do I want it -- YOU BET. The part you see floating in the air is actually an attachment that makes it into a large rectangle -- great for ironing large pieces of fabric, quilt tops, your sheets (if you're wierd :)) and even very very large sized underwear (if you are even wierder). Okay, I'll calm down. I'm getting kind of crazy here. Too much caffeine free coke I guess.
Anyway, I found a pattern that includes the directions for making a "long board" that fits over your ironing board and also directions for making a cover for it. So, here is my plain old ironing board








and

here is my "long board" $8 for the pattern and $25 for the materials. The Votech guy made it for me and isn't charging me but I'm sending him $15 for his trouble. So far $33. I need to seal the wood and make a cover. I'm guessing for a total of $50 I'll have the ironing board I long for -- here it is sans cover. I saved about $199 on this deal.










I'm also posting a picture of my extension table I got to go with my sewing machine. It is hand made of nice wood and has about 10 coats of varnish on it. Smoother than a baby's bottom. It will be great for quilting. I broke it in quilting the the Nursery Song Quilt. I put a folding table perpendicular to my dining room table and put my iron on it with a "mini" ironing mat because I have to press after each strip that I add to the log cabin squares. This makes the squares go together a lot faster. The piece in front that the scissors are sitting on actually slides out so I can easily change my bobbin.



So there you have it. My newest gadgets.


3 comments:

TexasNeals said...

HA! you crack me up, you thrify-nifty thing, you! :)

Anonymous said...

I love all of your neat ideas and projects. You are very creative! I just caught up on your fun spring break. I also loved your post about Beth. Everything you wrote is so true about her. She will drop everything when she is needed. Very selfless!! Have a great week. Jon and I are praying for your sweet family!!

Serena Smith said...

What a genius - great ideas!!! I love your sewing machine extention - very large with lots of room for quilts!!!

Your ironing board is great and saved you lots!!

But I have to say I have one of those $249 ironing boards and I absolutely love mine!!!! It is very, very sturdy - something I really need when pressing large and heavy quilts.

I checked into a wooden big boards before I purchased this one and found it wouldn't work for me because I use steam quite a bit and I needed the vented mesh which the long board has.

But what a great long ironing board you have now - wonderful new tools!!! :)