Saturday, April 5, 2008

PROGRESS AND SETBACKS

This has been a week full of working on my computer and finally this weekend -- some sewing :)
I got my Dell back on Monday -- it had to be reformatted so the good news was that everything I had moved over to it was still on cd's so I still had that data and pictures. But, every new file and picture I had saved on the hard drive since I got the computer in Sept. was lost. I realized yesterday that included all the pictures and pages I had completed for the Church Directory -- not good. I think we have figured out a way to finish our work without having to redo pictures. Hopefully we can reenter the information (I still have the sheets everyone filled out) and then our preachers wife who is an avid scrapbooker has offered to cut out the pictures from the copy I had printed out for proofing purposes and glue - paste- whatever to the page. We are going to try one and see if the printer will copy it to see if it will look good. If it passes that will be our solution-if not i guess we'll spend six more Sundays trying to get everyone to retake pictures. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Here are all the squares completed for Jens rag quilt. All I have to do now is sew the squares together and then do all the snipping that turns it into a rag quilt. The other picture is a sample of the three different color squares that are going into the log cabin quilt. I've completed 36 of the 48 squares. I'm excited to be close to the finish line on completing the squares. Then I'll get the quilt top together. Once I do that I will probably put it aside to begin working on the quilt for grandmother.














Here is a picture of the quilt I'm going to do for g'ma. It will be a first for me. It comes with a full size pattern for the tree, the sky background and the ground. It also has a pattern for the leaf. My plan is to use a machine applique/embroidery pattern for a leaf I found (very similar to the one in the photo) and do the leaves totally with my embroidery attachment. That will be easier than having to "steer" around the leaf myself. Plus I'll be embroidering names and birthdays on the leaves anyway . You can see pictures on the leaves in the photo but I'm not doing that -- just names and birthdays. So there will be 40 + leaves including a few blank ones to full in spaces. I'm going to start looking for a good "tree bark" fabric and one for the sky too. For the leaves I'll probably use some sort of batiks in fall colors -- gold, red, yellow. What you see in the photo is actually a wall hanging -- comes in two different sizes. I'm going to make the larger one and then add a border or two and bind it as a throw size quilt.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

That tree quilt looks pretty awesome mom. so does the material for that rag quilt!! You are a sewing "machine" HA VERY FUNNY!!

TexasNeals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TexasNeals said...

the log cabin squares are looking awesome!! the colors are just beautiful together! you did a great job picking them out. who'd of guessed? :)