Saturday, November 1, 2008

BABIES, LEAVES AND OTHER STUFF

Apparently telling the kids I'm retiring in May incited a baby boom in my family. First Jennifer and Matthew and now Billy and Stacey. I'll barely have packed up my files and moved out of my room at school and I'll be running from MS to TX and TN to hold those new rascals. But, lest I sound like I'm complaining -- I'm NOT -- I'm very excited for them and I get to sew more baby stuff too!! And the best part is, I won't have to worry about getting back home to go to work!! At least not right away. I'm sure I'll get some sort of part time job at some point but I'm not thinking about that right now. I'd rather think about more new babies :))

All the leaves are on the family tree. They've been glued but some have pins too until the glue is good and dry. The next step will be to tack them down at the stem end and the tip with two or three stitches. Then when I do the quilting it will take care of the rest. I'm pleased with the results so far. I'm doing a double border -- a grayish blue green batik and the red batik. Then I'm using the grayish blue green for the backing and will make stips from the leaf scraps for the binding.


Next Sunday we are having a baby shower for a soon to be new mom at church. The quickest thing for me to make is a minkee blanket but I didn't have an boy stuff to make one so I ran to the fabric store downtown and found this beautimous minkee and animal fabric. Where is the blue in the animal fabric you may be asking. Well, find the parrot and you will see that he has a smidgen of blue that goes quite well with the minkee. I think it will make a great blanket. I'll get the squares cut tomorrow and start sewing it together and finish it Mon. or Tues. It is a super easy blanket and always makes up beautifully.



I got off to a slow start today because of a bad sinus headache. It was after lunch before I felt like doing much. But I did eventually get revved up and that was when I made the rest of the blank leaves and finished gluing them all on the quilt top. And somewhere in there I got that new material. Guess I'll head for bed now and enjoy my extra hour of sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, congratulations to you, grams! I knew Jen and Matthew were expecting but did not know that Stacy and Billy were.

jennifer said...

Mom gma's quilt looks so great with all the leaves on it. I can't wait to see the quilting on it. I think the other blanket will turn out great too. :) You are the best!

Holly said...

So excited to hear about the new grand babies!