Wednesday, August 26, 2009

THE BIGGEST HOGS I’VE EVER SEEN ….

Believe it or not, I grew up on a farm --- we had two milk cows, a herd of blank angus, chickens,  and a barn full of horses and ponies.   So, having been off the farm for about 30 + years , I’m visiting family in Longview TX and as we are driving down Highway 80, I see this

Oreo Cows Oreo Cows (2) Oreo Cows (3) Oreo Cows (4) Oreo Cows (5)

The first thought that went through my mind was --- those are the biggest hogs I’ve ever seen – in fact, I said it outloud – at which time, my son (who did not grow up on said farm) kindly reminded me that they were not hogs but cows.  Honestly, I realized that as soon as I made the comment but, they were the strangest cows I’ve ever seen.  Nicknamed “oreo cows” they are actually a breed of cattle called Belted Galloways.   They come from Scotland and are apparently quite popular.  Here is a site about them.   Just thought you might enjoy learning about a different kind of oreo .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to admit it but it took me until almost the last photo to realize that these were all photos of cows. Maybe it runs in the family?

Happy Birthday!!

Peace family said...

You're too funny. Living in the Delta has ruined you! Hope you have a great birthday!