Thursday, February 4, 2010

I’M UPGRADING …. MAYBE

I’ve been wanting to try a machine that just embroiders – not the commercial type though – so I tried out a Bernina Deco 340 and really liked it alot.  It was on sale for a good price so I got it and have been embroidering a bunch the past couple of days.   One reason I did that is because I’ve been wanting to upgrade my machine to the 820 for quilting purposes.  I’d never get an 830 because I don’t embroider enough to make the price worth it plus everytime I do embroider I can’t sew and that is what I really enjoy the most.  When the Bernina guy told me what I could get on a trade in for my 730 and that I could probably get more if I try selling it myself, I decided to go for it.  Either way I will pay a third or less of the cost of the 820.  I’m excited.  I’ve been working on how to list it.  I’m going to try Craig’s list first.  I’d rather not have to ship it somewhere if at all possible.   When I moved I brought a bunch (around 30) of kitchen towels, tea towels and bar mops that I had bought at different times when on sale to use as gifts and such so that is what I’ve been practicing on.  There are  a few differences between the Deco and the 730 when it comes to embroidering but since I already have Bernina’s embroidery software, the differences are not major.

One of the first things I did was add a little valentine love to the pillowcase dresses I made for my nashvegas girls.  Jen found the fabric in my stash and it was just enough I added the embroidery to the hem area. 

Valentine sewing

Here are a couple more things I’ve tried.Deco Practice  Deco Practice (3)  Deco Practice (5)

Don’t know what I’ll do with all these towels and stuff when I’m done.  Maybe I’ll try to sell them on ebay or something.

The last of the snow is about rained away – it’s been raining since noon today.  They say is is supposed to turn to snow by tomorrow or Saturday.  Time will tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm coveting the 820 for quilting but haven't had the nerve to price it. Can you tell me what the pricepoint is? I have a 630e and a 180e but will keep them. I love my 630e. It's the best Bernina I"ve owned. The 180e is worthless on the market, but I loan it out to friends so it's worth it to keep. Has the 820 had as many glitches as the 830?
thanks and I love your blog
Hilary roselady@ctxwifi.net

Cheri said...

I want one of those machines... awesome.