Wednesday, May 12, 2010

REPAVING . . . SORT OF

I decided that it's time to take the plunge and actually do some quilting -- not just piecing on my new machine. I've done some practicing off and on and have to say I really like how easy it is to adjust the tension so that when I make curves or loops the tension looks as good as when I do straight lines. Anyway, I got out the yellow brick road quilt and and after looking at it again, I decided if it's worth finishing I should do it right so I took all safety pins out and all the basting stitches from around the edge so I could take my three layers apart.  The problem is the backing is plenty wide enough but so close in to the size of the quilt top in length that the top was hanging off the backing in a couple of places.  So I'm going to add a strip across the width to make the backing longer.  I'll take pictures of before and after and show what I do.  Also, it has been rolled up and moved around so much that it really needed to be smoothed out again and re-pinned .   I think I know how I'm going to quilt the blocks -- think free motion flowers.   I'm going to do one or two and see how I like them and go from there..  Here's to steady speed and steady hands.

Tomorrow is a busy day of errands and appointments so it will be middle afternoon or later before I get to sew.  Til then.

No comments: