Tuesday, March 30, 2010

SEWING LESSONS

I'm giving myself sewing lessons. I take simple things and make them difficult so that I can practice taking out stitches and redoing them.  I'll tell you I'm learning a lot!!:)  I really  am discovering new and better ways of doing things and using my 820 with its dual feed is  really making my sewing a lot more fun.  I just finished up this dress for Vail and Kates.



I used pockets from another pattern and placed them on the skirt according to the other pattern.  They were too high.  So, I took them off and replaced them but then they seemed to close to the middle.  I fixed one set and left the others because it wasn't worth taking the skirt off the bodice.  The moral of this story is if the bodice is longer and the skirt isn't as wide, don't use it to figure out where to put the pockets.  You are seeing the dress where I left the pockets closer together.  The color in the picture doesn't do the fabrics justice.  They look a lot cuter in person.  Fabric Glue has become my new best friend. It works great to tack down fabric like the band around the bottom.  Using the fabric glue holds the facing side down nice and neat with out pins so that I can catch the facing in the edge stitching and then I don't have to sew it by hand and the glue is just as quick or quicker than pins.  Worked the same way with the bodice lining around the bottom of the bodice. 

I went to a small granite/quartz/marble company in Franklin today and picked out some new quartz countertop to replace the formica in my kitchen. 

They are coming Wed. to do a template  and then by mid April I should have new countertops.  Then in May I'll get busy and paint my cabinets and my kitchen should be pretty much done except for a backsplash. 

I'm off to bed but I leave you with these for your viewing pleasure







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The dress looks great. I really like the fabric you used. The last two photos are great. Katy's rabbit teeth are adorable.