Parkcity Girl is hosting her fall quilt festival. I missed the spring festival but got to see soooo many beautiful quilts. I’ve decided toparticpate in this one. There are several quilts I would enjoy sharing. The one I made for my college roommate when she had her first grandchild; the one I made for my sister – all red and white with “sister” quotes embroidered on it, the nursery rhyme quilt I made and sent to my neice when her daughter Mabry was born or the one I made for my boss before I retired – my first attempt at a log cabin. But I’ve opted for the family tree quilt I made for my Mother in law because it is definitely the most challenging project I’ve attempted to date. I had come up with the idea of making her a family tree quilt before I retired and moved to Nashville. I wanted it to be realistic rather than kind of abstract and decided I would try to use my embroidery software to create the leaves for the tree. I thought I could appliqué the leaves, cut them out and then attach them to the tree by hand or machine. I looked and looked on the Internet and found a pattern that looked exactly like what I was looking for. I found the fabrics I wanted to use and then put it all away for the longest because I was AFRAID to get started. Finally I made myself pull it all out and just jumped in. I sewed the two background strips together and then put it away again for the same reason. The tree just scared me. When I finally took the plunge, the tree though time consuming wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I fused the entire piece of “tree” fabric to something like stitch witchery. Then I traced the pattern and cut it out. Once it was cut t I laid the tree out on the background and when it looked to be in the right place, I ironed it on. After that was done, I used my machine and did a small zigzag stitch around each branch and the trunk of the tree. That was the most time consuming part of the project. It worked quite well. I found an embroidery site that had a leaf appliqué for $1.25 and used it to make my leaves. I had gotten several different colors of batik fabric for the leaves. I made a leaf for each member of the Neal clan and embroidered names and birthdates and also date of death where applicable. Then I put Granddad’s and Grandmother’s leaves at the highest spot on the tree and grouped the other families in various spots below them. I really didn’t think I would like it until after I had added the borders. They made such a huge difference. I used leftover fabrics for the binding. Believe it or not I’m having to add four new leaves. It’s great to know the family continues to grow:)
Here are some pictures of the quilt in various stages of completion.

18 comments:
Lovely quilt to share with us at the festival. I did't know where to start looking so I thought I would start of from the list below mine and that how I've found you. Great quilt for show and tell - Hugs Natima
Ah, I love tree quilts. They're on my list of things to do. Great idea to make it a family tree quilt!
Just too beautiful.
This is a great quilt, and the look is just so perfect now for Fall! I really like the idea around the leaves.
Beautiful quilt. I bet Grandmother Neal really loved it. 4 more leaves already? Wow!
It is amazing!
I LOVE IT! Beautiful job.
Vail, the quilt is lovely and what a touching tribute to a wonderful family. I know that Francis must truly treasure it and you as her daughter by marriage.
Glad you are doing so well! YOU GO GIRL!!
Maggie
Hello Vail,
just saw your post.. The quilt looks great! I know she'll love it! Let us hear from you...
Still Miss You!!
Love, Johnny
Now that's a quilt from the heart! What a wonderful journey you had as a quilter, creating this. Congratulations on an absolutely unique quilt. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.
You have an absolutely wonderful blog! And I love your tree quilt! It's so obvious that your family and love of family is so very important to you...so I'm not surprised that a 'family' tree quilt represents here! I love the stories and action of the grandkid photos. Totally, totally darling!
This quilt is incredible, Vail!
What a wonderful quilt! perfect for this time of year!
Thank-you for stopping by my blog! If you need any help picking out an applique pattern, just ask, i've a few amazing ones slipped away.
Lovely quilt!
What an amazing quilt. Sure to be the family heirloom. Thanks for sharing.
Wow this is an amazing quilt.
Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/
What a beautiful tree quilt! It has the look of a crepe myrtle!
Post a Comment