You trace it onto fusible interfacing. Iron the interfacing onto the back of the fabric and cut it out. Place all the different color parts together to make the monkey and then use the stitch of your choice to attach it to the background. The pattern was too big to fit on one sheet of 81/2 by 11 page hence the 2 sheets and the dotted lines that show overlap and so on. I took the thing so literally that I traced the 2 halves of the body separately and peiced them together. As I was tacking them down with a glue stick and getting ready to start the sewing process, I suddenly realized that I should have pieced the pattern pieces and cut the body out as one piece so I redid it -- except for the tail of course because a tail is supposed to be pieced -- just not the body -- right?? So I guess the third time was the charm. I got it all -- including the tail -- as one whole sock monkey body. I've got the scraps to prove it.
I used some of the scraps to try different stitches. I tried the chicken foot stitch (my name -- kind of a modified blanket stitch.), a blanket stitch and then a zigzag/satin stitch. You can see I chose the zigzag but once around didn't seem enough so I went over it a second time and I don't like it at all. Since it will be fairly easy, I'm going to take it all out tomorrow and go back to the drawing board. I'm going to do either the simple blanket stitch or the zigzag but just once around. I haven't had a whole lot of experience in applique. Most of mine are done on the embroidery machine. The ones I've done "free hand" (or whatever the term would be) have been pretty simple shapes for the most part. I did applique the tree on my family tree quilt but it was a simple zig zag that blended in with the color of the tree trunk not a true applique stitch. I do know that the Bernina shop is going to have a class on applique and I'm going to take it -- maybe twice:))

No comments:
Post a Comment