Friday, June 22, 2012

the garden

I decided to try a raised bed garden this year.  Don't want to jinx myself but after a slow start, it is looking pretty good right now.  My tomato plants and one of the squash are looking the best.  The other squash and cuccumbers not so much but I planted them later for one thing.  I'm going to feed them when I water them later today and we will see how that goes.





I inherited some blueberry bushes with this house - 3 to be exact.  The first year I discovered them, I managed a handful of berries before the birds got them.  The next year I traveled a good bit and so the birds got all the berries.  This year I wanted to try to keep the berries for me and not share with the birds.  Well, when I was in Atlanta with my mom, my son Brian found the birdnetting I had bought and some old wooden stakes that were by the back fence and covered one of the bushes.  The birds got the berries from the other two bushes within 24 hours.  How do they know???  The berries were not even ripe yet!!  Anyway, now that we know what to do, we'll do all three at the same time and earlier in the season -- just not telling the birds.




No comments: